Healthy Meatless Meals
Meatless meals that are built around vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds and grains offer many nutrients — including protein.
Eggs and low-fat dairy items also are good protein sources.
Eating a variety of these foods throughout the day can give you all the essential amino acids — the building blocks of protein — that your body needs. Meatless meals can offer a world of enjoyable possibilities — see and experience for yourself meatless meals.
Think beyond the butcher section and eat these tasty and satisfying foods.
Meat doesn't have to be the only source of protein in your diet. In fact, studies show that eating red meat and processed meat can increase your risk of developing heart disease and cancer. In addition, protein from meatless sources can be just as filling.
Another bonus: Buying less meat can also save you to spend less on food, as meat usually costs more than its healthy alternatives.
Meatless meals can offer a world of enjoyable possibilities, including some fun ethnic meals.
Start exploring your meatless options — and your cooking creativity — with these ideas:
- Substitute part or all of the meat with extra vegetables when making lasagna, pasta and stews.
- Order mushroom and cheese or veggie pizza.
- Stir-fry vegetables with tofu instead of meat.
- Make vegetable kebabs.
- Choose bean burritos or tacos.
- Make chili or spaghetti sauce with soy-based vegetable crumbles instead of ground meat.
- Grill portobello mushrooms in place of hamburgers.