Toxins found in pesticides, plastics, household chemicals, and even mattresses can contain hormone disrupting chemicals that mimic hormones in the body and keep the body from producing real hormones. Things like hormonal birth control can (obviously) do the same thing.
When you have hormone imbalance or are struggling to get pregnant, avoiding these toxins is very important!
Cook in glass or non-coated metal pans (no non-stick or teflon!) and avoid heating or storing foods in plastic.
Find organic produce and meat whenever possible and don’t use chemical pesticides or cleaners.
Here are some additional tips for avoiding toxins:
- Improving indoor air quality with plants
- Use natural indoor air cleaners
- Have a paper free environment at home
Can’t emphasize this one enough, when you aren’t getting enough sleep, your hormone will not be balanced. Period.
Avoid “trying” and just do it!
This can singlehandedly improve hormones and is even linked to longer life, less chance of disease and optimizing weight.
5. Supplement Wisely
In a perfect world, we would be rising and sleeping with the sun, getting Vitamin D from the sun and Magnesium from the ocean while relaxing and exercising in great balance each day in a stress-free world. These are some specific ones that are optimum for hormone support.
- Maca– A tuber in the radish family that has a history of boosting hormone production and libido. Many women notice less PMS, increased fertility, and improved skin while men notice increased sperm production, libido, and better sleep. Maca is also high in minerals and essential fatty acids, making it great for hormones. It is available in powder form (least expensive option) or in capsules.
- Magnesium– Magnesium supports hundreds of reactions in the body and often contributes to better sleep (which is great for hormones!). There are several effective forms of Magnesium: In powder form with a product like Natural Calm so that you can vary your dose and work up slowly, ionic liquid form can be added to food and drinks and dose can be worked up slowly,or trans-dermal form by using Magnesium oil applied to skin. This is often the most effective option for those with damaged digestive tract or severe deficiency.
- Vitamin D- A pre-hormone is supportive of hormone function. Best obtained from the sun if possible, or from a D3 supplement or Fermented Cod Liver Oil.
- Fermented Cod Liver Oil– Provides many of the necessary building blocks for hormone production including Vitamins A, D, and K. It also is a great source of Omega-3s and beneficial fats.
- Gelatin is a great source of calcium, magnesium and phosphate. It supports hormone production and digestive health and helps sooth inflammation, especially in joints. We use Great Lakes Kosher as I was able to verify with the company that it is sourced from grass-fed, humanely raised cows, and as such is higher in nutrients.
When you have hormone imbalance, intense extended exercise can actually make the problem worse in the short term. Sleep is actually more important, at least during the balancing phase, so focus on relaxing exercises like walking or swimming and avoid the extended running, cardio, and exercise videos, for now….
7. Lift Heavy Weights
While extended cardio can be bad, short bursts of heavy lifting (kettlebells, deadlifts, squats, lunges) can be beneficial since they trigger a cascade of beneficial hormone reactions. Aim for a few sets (2-5) at a weight that really challenges you, and make sure to get guided with form and training.
8. Eat Some Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil is amazing for hormone health. It provides the necessary building blocks for hormone production, can assist weight loss, reduce inflammation, and even has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
Should you really need hormone balance, aim to consume 1/4 cup of added coconut oil a day. My favorite way is to blend into coffee or tea. This is the highest quality one I’ve found.
9. Fix Your Leptin
Leptin is a master hormone, and if it is out of balance or when you are resistant to it, no other hormones will balance well. Fixing leptin will also boost fertility, make weight loss easier, improve sleep, and lower inflammation.